Audience for this information is adminstrators and IT staff at universities.
In the app Min Side the end user can
- get an overview of which groups he/she belong to
- create or join ad hoc groups
When logging into Min Side the end user will see a list of all the groups he/she belongs to, that Dataporten are aware of. These groups can be filtered by group type and member roles, and origin from several sources:
- The university’s LDAP directory (the one connected to Feide and Dataporten).
- The university’s FS database.
- Other databases/directories at the university with a customized integration to Dataporten.
- Ad hoc groups created by the end user.
- Ad hoc groups which the enduser is a member of, created by others.
Ad hoc groups¶
Creating your own groups is a convenient feature of Dataporten. Education is all about collaboration, interaction and communication - in different groups: big, small, official, non-official, permanent, temporary etc. All groups cannot and will not be registered in the official directories at the university. The My groups app enables endusers to create ad hoc groups wherever needed. The ad hoc groups can be shared across all applications connected to Dataporten, as long as the end user has consented to this.
Create a new group¶
After giving it a name and a description, the enduser can start adding members to his/her new group. There are two ways to add members to a group:
- By sharing an invite URL.
- By searching for people by their names, using the people search service.
The people search service¶
The people search service is only used when creating ad hoc groups, to enable searching for people by their names and asking them to join the group. For students and employees respectively, the university has to decide who can search for whom, and ensure that people living in hiding etc not will be found.
- Configuring the people search service (Norwegian only)
Confirm membership in a group¶
If a person is added as a member to a group, using the people search service, the person will be tagged as “unconfirmed” until he/she confirmes being a member of the group.
The next time the person logs in to the My groups app, a message asking to confirm membership in the group will be displayed. The person will have to either:
- Confirm membership and remain in group
- Reject and leave group