Audience for this information is administrators and IT staff at home organizations.
In the app Min Side the end user can
- get an overview of which groups he/she belongs to
- create or join ad hoc groups
When logging into Min Side the end user will see a list of all the groups he/she belongs to that Feide is aware of. These groups can be filtered by group type and member roles, and origin from several sources:
- The organization’s LDAP directory (the one connected to Feide).
- A university’s FS database.
- A lower or intermediate school’s instruction groups
- Other databases/directories at the organization with a customized integration to Feide.
- Ad hoc groups created by the end user.
- Ad hoc groups which the end user is a member of, created by others.
Ad hoc groups¶
Creating your own groups is a convenient feature of Feide. Education is all about collaboration, interaction and communication - in different groups: big, small, official, non-official, permanent, temporary etc. All groups cannot and will not be registered in the official directories at the organization. The My groups app enables end users to create ad hoc groups wherever needed. The ad hoc groups can be shared across all applications connected to Feide through OIDC/OAuth, as long as the end user has consented to this.
Create a new group¶
After giving it a name and a description, the end user can start adding members to his/her new group. There are two ways to add members to a group:
- By sharing an invite URL.
- By searching for people by their names, using the people search service.
The people search service¶
The people search service is only used when creating ad hoc groups, and only when the organization has enabled it. The service enables searching for people by their names and asking them to join the group. For students and employees respectively, the organization has to decide who can search for whom, and ensure that people living in hiding etc will not be found.
- Configuring the people search service (Norwegian only)
Confirm membership in a group¶
If a person is added as a member to a group, using the people search service, the person will be tagged as “unconfirmed” until he/she confirms being a member of the group.
The next time the person logs in to the My groups app, a message asking to confirm membership in the group will be displayed. The person will have to either:
- Confirm membership and remain in group
- Reject and leave group